Monday, January 31, 2011

The F word

This month, I've had several deep conversations about Feminism (am I predictable? Maybe.) with other volunteers, Ghanaians, Europeans, Canadians, and US Americans. I can hardly relate the many paths of our conversations, but I will say this. In each chat, someone asks me, "So what is Feminism in the US today?" They ask if the movement still exists and what people think of it. This has not been easy to answer, but I've given it my best effort. And basically, what I want to say to all of you feminists, pro-feminists, femi-curious-ists, humanists, pro-equal rights advocates is to get talking and get moving! I've assured everyone that feminism is not dead, but that the word itself is controversial and that members of whatever-you-want-to-call-the-movement are a bit scattered, but passionate. So please, make good on my promise... anyway you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment